I bought my first Swiffer my sophomore year of college. This was before my frugal journey, so there I was with my old reliable Swiffer with the wet pads you could buy from the store. If you own a Swiffer, you know just how expensive those wet pads can be. At regular price, they can be $10 or more! Even with a coupon, you could still be paying $5 or so a pack, and that’s if you get a really good deal.
Over the past year or so, I’ve been looking for ways to reduce our household expenses. I have already switched to cloth napkins, and reusable Ziploc bags. Since Swiffer pads are so expensive, I figured why not make my own? The ingredients are probably things you have already in your home, and they cost much less than store bought Swiffer pads. Whether you are looking for a natural floor cleaner, or you just want to save a little money on your cleaning supplies, here is my recipe for homemade and reusable Swiffer pads.
Homemade Reusable Swiffer Pads
To Make your own Reusable Swiffer Pads:
- As many Microfiber Cloths as you want pads (or 1 Roll of Paper Towels for non-reusable)
- 16 oz Distilled Water
- 3 Teaspoons of White Vinegar
- 2 Drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- Container (large tupperware works great)
- Mix together distilled water, vinegar, and lemon essential oil.
- Place your microfiber cloths in your container (container needs to have a lid)
- Pour your mixture over the cloths, making sure to cover them completely.
- When you are ready to use them, place a cloth over your Swiffer and attach as you would a store bought pad.
- Save money!