Wouldn’t it be nice to have an extra $500 in your pocket? Whether you are looking to save up for a vacation, buy clothes for your children, or put something toward your retirement, $500 could go a long way for you. This year, our travel destination is Hawaii! A trip to Hawaii has been a long-term dream for my Fiance, and I’m excited to visit a new place I’ve never been! For any of you who have even considered a cross country trip, you know this is not going to be a cheap one. In order for us to go, we need to save $500 every month to be able to save up enough money to take this trip by October.
Perhaps, you’re not looking for a trip to Hawaii, but I’m pretty sure nobody would be disappointed to have an extra $500. Regardless of what your savings goals are, here are four easy ways to make an extra $500 this month.
How to Make an Extra $500 This Month
Resell your Unused Gift Cards
Do you have any unused gift cards lying around your home? It’s time to turn these gift cards into cash! There are dozens of sites out there where you can sell gift cards, regardless of the balance. Let’s say you have a $50 gift card to Outback Steakhouse that you’re looking to sell. If you were to go through Cardpool, you could make $37.75 in cash on that $50 gift card. If you are not going to be using your gift cards, make a little money off of them and get closer to your savings goals.
Here are a few sites you can use to sell your unwanted gift cards:
- Card Cash
- Gift Card Zen
- Gift Card Rescue
- Monster Gift Card
- Junk Card
- Gift Card Bin
- Gift Card Swapping
Sell your Clutter
I would bet that almost everyone has something in their home they could get rid of that’s worth money. I made a list of 50 things you can get rid of today here. If you’re looking to make some extra money, your pay day might come from right here at home! We made hundreds by selling our unwanted items on Amazon, Decluttr, Craigslist, eBay, and even consignment stores. If you need quick cash or have a number of valuable items around your home, then you can easily make some cash. If you don’t want to sell your items online, consider hosting a yard sale.
Rent out your Space
There are so many sites out there where you can rent out spare bedrooms or even your whole house while you’re away. I would personally categorize this as an absolute last effort, but if you really need extra money don’t overlook this option. If you’re only looking to rent out your home while you’re on vacation, these sites can help:
Pick up a Side Hustle
Side hustles are a great way to earn extra income while still working at your full-time job. While I was still at my full-time job, I I was able to do some freelance writing and virtual assistant work, use survey sites to earn gift cards, and use cash back apps to earn cash on my purchases. If you’re looking to start your first side hustle, check out my article here to get you started.
Need help deciding on a side hustle? Here are some ideas:
- Swagbucks– I use Swagbucks to earn gift cards by taking surveys, completing offers, and watching videos.
- Inbox Dollars– Inbox Dollars is very similar to Swagbucks.
- Scanning Grocery Receipts– Did you know you can earn cash by scanning your receipts? Here are my favorite apps for earning cash from my receipts.
- Become a RideShare driver– I have used Uber and Lyft dozens of times, and have always been happy with their rates and services. If you are looking for a way to earn extra income, consider being a driver!
- Freelance Writing- There are hundreds of sites you can use for freelance work. You could earn anywhere from $10-$100 per job!
- Be a TaskRabbit– If you wouldn’t mind running a few errands or assisting with chores and odd jobs, then you could earn some serious cash through TaskRabbit.
- Babysit, Housesit, or Pet Sit- This could be an easy way to earn some quick cash over the weekend. When I used to babysit, I could make around $100 in one night!
- Personal or Mystery Shopping- If you have some extra time, consider becoming a personal or mystery shopper. This is great for those shopaholics out there, as you get paid to shop!
- Tutor- Are you proficient in math, science, history, or English? If you have any special skills, you could make tons of money as a tutor. A close friend of mine tutors Chemistry and Biochemistry to help pay for college expenses and can make sometimes as much as $20 per hour!
- Sell your Pictures- A great way to make extra cash is to sell your images to stock image sites such as Shutterstock
Earning extra income doesn’t have to be time-consuming or difficult. I have done almost all of the things on this list, in addition to running this blog and working a full-time day job. I take advantage of downtime and free time to earn some extra cash, and by the end of the month, a few minutes here and there pay off big time!